[ale] My Adaptec Adventure...

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Fri Jul 18 11:22:12 EDT 1997

Ok,
  For those of you who caught my last message sent while I was still steaming
here's the summary and final outcome.

  I had a AHA-2940UW.  It was determined to be bad after 2 months of checking
and one tech saying my chain was messed up and it was a hard disk problem and
then hanging up on me.  I finally got them to issue an RMA and I paid the
upgrade.  A 2940UW has 2 internal connectors.  1 male 50Pin, 1 female 68Pin.
The 3940UW also has 2 internal connectors, 2 female 68Pin connectors.  First,
no-one told me this.  You think I could call them and just order a converter
that connected a female 68Pin to a femail 50 (my internal scsi-2 cable which
is custome made for my config).  The don't have anything like that and said
it couldn't and wouldn't work.  The solution they have is for me to buy 2
internal-wide cables and 6 converters that connect a narrow device to a wide
chain.  No, you couldn't just put the converter on the card and plug a
narrow cable into it... This didn't and still doesn't make sense to me.
The cables cost about $70 apeice (need 2 since they only have 5 connectors
and I need 6) and the converters are $35 apeice. Again I need 6.  That's
$140+$216= $356.  AFTER I bought the card...  After this I decided to
talk to management a bit.

  I ended up talking to "Derik"... He understood I was a bit upset at
this.  Apparently I'm the first person to upgrade from a 2940UW with
only narrow devices on the internal cable to a 3940UW...  I explained
that converting to a 3940U wasn't going to work as I will have need of the
"wide" portion in the immediate future.  After talking for a bit they are
shipping me the connectors and cables Next day air.  I should have them
Sat since we didn't reach an agreement until after FedEx picked up for the
day.

  My final analysys?  They really need a 68-50Pin converter for the single
cable so we don't have to buy all this junk.  They did however "make things
right" and put up with me not just taking the original option of buying
everything and walking away.  I do like companies that will actually go
out of their way in this day and age to make the customer happy.

Robert

P.S.:  That 3940UW is no-longer for sale... :>

Robert L. Harris          |    If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_     you don't understand the question.

Email:
Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER: