[ale] Login Problems > window manager

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Wed Jul 16 12:44:24 EDT 1997

On Jul 15,  5:18pm, Steven A. Duchene wrote:
> Subject: Re: [ale] Login Problems > window manager
> Nick Grimmig asked:
> > After starting xdm,  trying to login to x yields " incorrect login"
> > 	this happens for all accounts, root included.  What am I doing wrong?
> > --
> Typically this happens when you have shadow passwords or pam configured and
> the version of xdm you have isn't the right one. If the reverse is true
> (shadow version of xdm but no shadow passwds) might also cause the same
thing.
> To tell if you have shadow passwords look in /etc/passwd, if there are
> encrypted passwds there you don't. If the passwd field for all users has
> all asterisks you have shadow passwds. I am not sure how to tell if pam
> is configured.
>-- End of excerpt from Steven A. Duchene

Off the top of your head, do you know how to tell if xdm is configured for PAM?
The way things are setup around here, I'd be better off if I could use xdm and
just leave this machine running X.

Thanks

Thompson Freeman		       tfreeman at vnet.net
Student of Chemistry and other Philosophical Studies

!!  Free Knowledge! Bring your own bucket and shovel!