[ale] Broadway and Linux

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 14 07:42:12 EDT 1997

>   I was looking around the Open Group's web page, and the X Constorium's
> last spec was X11R6.3, but there are no X servers for linux that support
> X11R6.3.  MetroX, Accelerated X and Xfree support X11R6.1  When will
> there be an X server for linux that supports Broadway?

Sure about that? From the XFree86 3.3 documentation:

XFree86 is a port of X11R6.3 that supports several Unix and Unix-like
operating systems on Intel and other platforms. This release consists
of new features and performance improvements as well as many bug
fixes. The release is available as source patches against the X
Consortium X11R6.3 code, as well as binary distributions for many
architectures.

> The X Constorium said that X11R6.3 was the codename Broadway release
> that incorporated the browser-centric design of X windows.  I thought that Broadway was R7?!  Is there going to be an R7?

I'm not sure about Broadway in either the R6.3 or R7 context. XFree86 3.3
definitely is R6.3 though.

BAJ