[ale] Driver for Diamond Virge 3D card

Lex Spoon sspoon at clemson.edu
Tue Jul 8 04:51:23 EDT 1997

I've got an S3-Virge (specifically Stealth 3D 2000 w/ 2MB RAM).
XFree86 version 3.3 is working quite nicely, offering lots of choice of
bpp (though the README's say that 16 bpp (or is it 15?)  is the fastest).
I'm using the new S3V support built into the SVGA driver.

I know of two limitations:

    a) It does NO 3D stuff, though the XFree people certainly seem
       aware of the potential
    b) When you switch to a text mode screen, there is a small blue square
       on the screen where you can't see the text.  Not a problem if you
       don't use text mode :)

There is still a specific S3V server outside of the SVGA server, but I
haven't tried it.  The README's make it sound like the seperate server is
going to disappear in future versions.

Hope this helps someone,

Lex