[ale] Driver for Diamond Virge 3D card

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 8 00:52:24 EDT 1997

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Huong Q. Dinh wrote:

> trying to get the right chipset and dot-clock for my Diamond Virge 3D
> graphics card.  However, I get the feeling that the driver for this card did not come
> with the Slackware Linux installation.  The Virge 3D card is a fairly new card, I believe.
	Right you probably are. I've got a stealth 3d 3000 (S3 Virge
Chipset) which didn't work out of the box with slackware 3.2 (or below).
However, some time ago (must have been at least 6 months ago or so) just
before X 3.2 went out for beta, there were a slew of similar problems, at
least for the 3d 3000 series of chips (though, I thought that 3d 2000's
didn't have any problems) posted to the newsgroups. Somebody (I think one
of the writers of the XF86S3V server) posted a quick hack to get the,
then current server to work. I still have (and run) this version of X
with no problems. If you wish, download them from my box at:
	ftp://brightstar.gt.ed.net/linux/X32S3V.tgz and
	ftp://brightstar.gt.ed.net/linux/X.patch
At the time, I got these directly from www.xfree86.org/, but, again, I
had to search around dejanews to find them.

Do the following from here..

#cp X32S3V.tgz /tmp
#cd /tmp
#tar -xzvf X32S3V.tgz
#cp /usr/X11/bin/XF86_S3V /usr/X11/bin/XF86_S3V.old
#cp ./bin/XF86_S3V /usr/X11/bin
#chmod +x X.patch
#X.patch

	From here, you should see some basic messages telling you that
your "X" link has been recreated to XF86_S3V.patched. From there, you
should be able to use this new server as you would hope. You might want
to "mv /usr/X11/bin/XF86_S3V.patched /usr/X11/bin/XF86_S3V" s.t. your X
configuration scripts (such as xf86config) will be able to use the new
server.

				Mail me if you have any questions,
						- Mike

Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech