[ale] samba

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Fri Jan 31 14:07:00 EST 1997

David Hamm enscribed thusly:

> Does any one know why samba's broadcasts don't route?  If I'm
> on a W95 box on the same network as the desired server then the server's name is
> shown in the Network Neighborhood.  If I look at another W95 box not on that
> network then I dont see the samba macine.
> And yes the server knows what it's default route is.

	Maybe because "broadcasts" don't route?

	Seriously...  Most routers do not route broadcast packets.  The
SMB name broadcasts are just that, broadcast UDP packets and most routers
will NOT route them.  If they did, the known universe would be flooded with
every yahoo's name packets!

  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/