[ale] samba

Andrew Newton lfs at eskimo.com
Fri Jan 31 18:03:58 EST 1997

Samba puts SMB protocol into NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  If I understand
your problem, its really not specific to Samba.  Most IP routers do
not send a broadcast from one subnet to another.  If they did, it would
be bad and the world would collapse upon its knees.

Fortunately, the guys that did Samba thought of this and there is a
work around.  You can list the IP subnets you want to know the existance
of other machines by listing them in the "remote announce" entry in the
Global section of the nmb.conf file.