[ale] Re:

Zot O'Connor zot at crl.com
Thu Jan 30 20:12:42 EST 1997

Matthew Avery wrote:

> Zot replied:
>
> >Do you have logs of this?  Have you tried calling the rc.d/* manually,
> >could there be  a mount or path problem?
>
> No, I don't have any logs *that I know of* (read as "I'm too
> incompetent a system administrator to find them if they exist").
> It looks like nothing is turned on in syslog.conf.  I did find
> some logs in /usr/adm but nothing that would explain this.

Try dmesg |less  but these may not have kernel messages.

> I've been starting stuff manually by sourcing rc.M and it works
> after that.  It can't be a mount problem since it's all on a
> single local hard drive and a number of other things work.

Hmmm, you may want to add a ">> /tmp/log 2>$1" to the calls to rc's
thus it will put messages that normally go the console into the file.

> I suppose it could be a path problem.  Would that be found in
> init.tab?

By "path" I meant that files, which were there, aren't, and that may
cause some wierd errors (similar to the mount problem, i.e. mount is not
placing files where they used to be).

>  By the way this whole problem started when I set up
> the system on one machine then moved the hard drive to another.
> The second machine didn't have a CD-ROM and so it first hung
> because it couldn't find a CD-ROM (although I kind of expected
> it to say "hey, I don't have a CD-ROM, I'll just skip it and go
> on to the next thing").  After I removed all references to the
> CD-ROM in the bootup scripts it hung anyway, only this time it
> hung when it was setting up the swap space.

This is the kind of problem I was refereing too.  My guess is that when
you switched machie on the hard drive the bios is interpeting things
differently, or that some other hardware device (net card chane?) is
acting up.

Zot O'Connor                     zot at crl.com
Home Page:                       http://www.crl.com/~zot/
Improv Page:                     http://www.crl.com/~zot/improv.html