[ale] RedHat upgrade?

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Thu Jan 30 09:03:02 EST 1997

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Geoffrey Myers wrote:

> I just loaded RedHat to my laptop and was a bit impressed with how well
> it went.  Has anyone ever attempted to 'upgrade' a non RH Linux with the
> RedHat update option?  I have Slackware on my PC and would like consistency
> between the two boxes.

You can try it if you want, but it's not going to work unless the
non-RedHat linux system is also based on RPM (I've done it to a Caldera
system, for example).  The upgrade basically <simplification> does an "rpm
-Uvh *"</simplification>, thereby upgrading the whole system.  Obviously,
this depends on all the packages already there having been installed with
rpm.  If you really want them to be the same, back up the important stuff,
format, and install RedHat.  Once you do that, you'll be able to upgrade
them in place, thanks to RPM.

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                   gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu

"All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed."
              -- Sean O'Casey