(no subject)

Matthew Avery matthew at nas.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 29 07:38:14 EST 1997

I wrote:

%> I have a major problem with our nameserver.  It's getting
%> part way through the setup files in /etc/rc.d and flaking out.
%> By that I mean it appears that the system is running, but some
%> of the stuff that should definitely be starting during boot-up
%> isn't, such as sendmail.

Zot replied:

>Do you have logs of this?  Have you tried calling the rc.d/* manually,
>could there be  a mount or path problem?

No, I don't have any logs *that I know of* (read as "I'm too
incompetent a system administrator to find them if they exist").
It looks like nothing is turned on in syslog.conf.  I did find
some logs in /usr/adm but nothing that would explain this.

I've been starting stuff manually by sourcing rc.M and it works
after that.  It can't be a mount problem since it's all on a
single local hard drive and a number of other things work.

I suppose it could be a path problem.  Would that be found in
init.tab?  By the way this whole problem started when I set up
the system on one machine then moved the hard drive to another.
The second machine didn't have a CD-ROM and so it first hung
because it couldn't find a CD-ROM (although I kind of expected
it to say "hey, I don't have a CD-ROM, I'll just skip it and go
on to the next thing").  After I removed all references to the
CD-ROM in the bootup scripts it hung anyway, only this time it
hung when it was setting up the swap space.

So, now that I've exposed my ineptitude to the world I'm once
again asking for help.  Thanks again,

-Matt-