[ale] ppp gateways

George A. Nies gnies at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 27 11:43:58 EST 1997

Keith Hopkins wrote:

> I am looking for any ideas as to what this problem may be.  I am
> running linux 2.0.27 on a AMD486dx4-133 (5x86-133).  I have a 3com 3c5x9
> card installed and running on eth0.
>   I can start up DIP and connect to my ISP (capturing $iploc and setting
> 'default' before switching to mode ppp), but the default route gw is
> never set for the ppp0 link.  I have to manually set the route gw (route
> add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) in order to use the connection.
>   The odd part: once when I can recompiled the kernel and it did not
> recognize the 3com card (no eth0), I had attached to the ISP and the
> default gateway was automatically set.  Any ideas?

I have used dip before, I don't think your problem is related to
your hardware (( I have the same processor but I have a NE2000 as eth0)
More likely there is already a default route set when dip tries to
add another.  Try deleteing the default route before running dip:
/sbin/route delete default

Next, check /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 for the line:

/sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

and comment it out.  This will keep the default route from re-appearing
after a re-boot.

You might want to check out diald as an alternative, if you want/need
"automatic" connection to the outside world.

	-George