[ale] modules and the kernel

charlie charlie at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 22 13:56:43 EST 1997

  I'm trying to recompile the kernel on debian for some of my new hardware
editions, and to upgrade the kernel.  However, I can't seem to get it just
right.

Here's the problem.
My scsi cdrom and my scsi zip drive are seen by the kernel, but I compiled
the support for both of them in modules.  The iso9660 fs module won't load
because there isn't dependancy information.  I have two modules that are
reporting this error (both scsi).  What does this exactly mean?

I've tried compiling with module symbol information include in the kernel
and without, but it doesn't affect the problem.  I'm not getting any errors
that I can tell from the compliations of the modules or kernel.

When the kernel goes to load the modules doesn't it check the /etc/modules
file to know which ones to load?  I'm loading two modules that I want, but
there not in the modules file.  Where else could they be told to load from?

thank in advance
charlie

							        Charles Hubbard
	   		 	          Internet: charlie at felix.cc.gatech.edu
 ". . .the pope talks a lot about sex, of which he knows nothing. . ."
	- Robert Anton Wilson