[ale] PPP and RedHat 4.0

Jeff Barber jeffb at issl.atl.hp.com
Tue Jan 21 09:20:52 EST 1997

Thomas J. Parker writes:

> OK, I can get a PPP connection up (it shows up ok with ifconfig).
> I can ping the address of the machine on the other end of the
> connection and it looks ok.  BUT, I can't see (ping or otherwise)
> anything else.

You're almost there.  Getting the ppp connection up is the hard part.

Others have already given suggestions related to routing so I'll try
to add something on a different subject.

You don't say whether you're trying to "see" other things by name or
by IP address.  If by name, you'll need to have DNS set up correctly
too (DNS translates names like www.xyz.com into IP addresses).  Your
provider should have given you the IP address(es) of one or more DNS
name servers.  These should go in /etc/resolv.conf along with your
domain name definition.  For example:

domain myisp.com
nameserver 159.159.159.1
nameserver 159.159.159.2
nameserver 159.159.159.3

If things still aren't working, report what happens when you try to
ping the nameserver machine(s) by IP address.

-- Jeff