[ale] SOLUTION: SCSI Tape: Linux <-> Sun

Dan Newcombe newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu
Tue Jan 21 08:52:27 EST 1997

> > I have a SCSI Exabyte drive on my Linux system at home and a SCSI
> > Exabyte drive on my sun at work.  They both use the 8mm video tape
> > format of tapes.

Many people suggested that I do  mt setblk 0 prior to reading the tape.
That was not the main problem.  The problem (which was solved by a nice
guy from Exabyte) was that the drive on the Sun was also doing some
hardware compression which the older drive at home could not recognize.
So, instead of using tar vfc /dev/rmt/0, which I had assumed was the
most basic way of getting at the tape, I had to use /dev/rmt/0l, which
stands for the lowest hardware compression.

Thanks for everyones help!
	-Dan

--
Dan Newcombe (newcombe at aa.clayton.edu) http://www.clayton.edu/home/dan/
"And all I do is miss you and the way we used to be. All I do is keep the beat