[Fwd: Re: [ale] Memory addressing failures]

George A. Nies gnies at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 13 11:25:39 EST 1997

--------------6553B3E321DB6DB3A8868E1

Andy Grover wrote:

> > Ran Norton NDIAGS under DOS.  Complete extended memory test (walking 1's and
> > 0's through the 32M) No failures.
>
> This is good, I guess, but I still wouldn't cross bad memory off the
> list...

I too had kernel panic problems after a memory upgrade.  I bought
memory in Jan 94.  I must have run 15 diagnostic programs, not one
of them complained.  But, boot up linux, and wham! kernel panic.  I
returned the memory to the dealer, after 1 hour of testing he found
a single bit error on one of the four chips!  I would suggest trying
just the new 16M by itself.  The box I'm on right now has 64M (I'm at
work) and it has no problems whatsoever.

	-George

--------------6553B3E321DB6DB3A8868E1