[ale] 16

Andy dread at atlcom.net
Wed Jan 8 20:15:19 EST 1997

STEVEN_DUCHENE at HP-USA-om1.om.hp.com wrote:

> I wonder if some of the declines in sales of RISC system sales mentioned
> in the attached article that is being attributed to increased sales of
> NT/Intel systems is actually due to people running Linux/FreeBSD/NetBSD
> on Intel systems?
>
>                                         Steve
 -- Stuff cut ---

I think that this can mainly be attributed to the gain in momentum of
the Pentium Pro 200MHz.  And also how well they perform in a
multi-processor
environment.  On WinNT Adobe Photoshop runs much faster on 200MHzP6
machine
than a  200MHzP5.  And twice as fast on a dual P6 system.   I've also
seen
FreeBSD on a P6-150MHz and it flew like a rocket as opposed to P5-166
system.
I upgraded a customer from 166Pentium to Pro150.  I was skeptical but
she wanted a 150, so that she got and it was MUCH faster.  I haven't
seen
Linux run on a P6 yet :(.  But might soon if I decide to get a 180 chip
and SuperMicro board that I'm drooling on here at work.

	/usr/bin/andy