[ale] Linux Group

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 27 06:58:42 EST 1997

> Hello.
>
>       I'm Installing Linux here on my pc and i saw a linux group and
> thought it would be nice to be in Linux Enthusiasts.

Welcome. We are always glad to include new folks.

> I can help others when i can and ask for help sometimes also..

That's the whole idea.

> When is the next meeting so i can attend it..im located in alpharetta,.

Second Thursday of every month so the next meeting should be March 13th.

> I'm having a problem here
> though..this pc is a laptop and the linux program is on cd..i have a
> pcmcia cd-rom drive a panasonic kxl-d720 but so far none of the boot
> disks driver/or whatever seems to be able to pick it up..any
> suggestions?

You'll probably have to use another source. If you're web connected you'll
want to do a search for the Linux PCMCIA HOWTO. It points to the main
Linux PCMCIA archive (whose address I can never remember offhand) which
has a list of supported cards. CDROMs are slim pickin's.

Best alternative is to put the CDROM onto a desktop PC running Linux and
do the install over a network. A bit more work but feasible.

Another possibily which I use all the time is to drop a majority of
whatever distribution I want to load onto a parallel ZIP drive. Then it's
just a matter of installing the correct modules (ppa,scsi_mods,scsi_sd)
and mounting the ZIP. That's how I installed Linux on my toshiba T100X
pen tablet.

Hope these suggestions help.

BAJ