[ale] McAfee Discovers First Linux Virus [clari.tw.comp

Daniel Newcombe NEWCOMBE at AA.csc.Peachnet.EDU
Sat Feb 8 21:41:25 EST 1997

> }   Very little is known about the history of the Bliss virus.
> }McAfee discovered the Bliss virus two days ago, and posted a

I've got two takes on this.  One is that becuase a lot of people use
Linux at home, and are constantly logged in as root, there is a
chance for a Unix virus to spread, unlike if they logged in as a
normal user.

My other take, which is what I said when I first heard about this
last week, is that Bliss was "discovered" to be a way of selling anti-
virus software on a platform not normally affected by virus's - if
you catch my drift.   I find it odd that the price is three times
that of their dos product also.

Of course that could just be me.

Dan Newcombe
User Services