[ale] Netscape proxy to Linux?

Bob's ALE Mail transam at cavu.com
Tue Feb 4 21:27:58 EST 1997

> From: dZothMuellarg <zot at crl.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Netscape proxy to Linux?
> To: transam at cavu.com (Bob's ALE Mail)
> Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:06:06 -0800 (PST)
> Cc: efrisch at tech.ml.org, zot at crl.com

> ^
> ^> From: RHS Linux User <efrisch at tech.ml.org>
> ^> Subject: Re: [ale] Netscape proxy to Linux?
> ^> To: transam at cavu.com (Bob's ALE Mail)
> ^> Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 19:07:29 -0500 (EST)
> ^
> ^> Bob -
> ^> 	are you sure DNS is working correctly on the Linux box?
> ^
> ^It works for stuff on the Linux box.  If I ping to www.somecompany.com
> ^it finds the IP address and gets replies back.  FTP from the Linux box
> ^works, etc.
> ^
> ^> ie,  are you running bind/named?
> ^
> ^On the Linux box I point /etc/resolv.conf to my ISP's nameserver;
> ^the internal nodes I care about are hardcoded in /etc/hosts, including
> ^the windows system.
> ^
> ^> Elliott
> ^
> ^THANKS,
> ^Bob
> ^

> In order for the win 95 box to get dns from the linux box, the linux
> box needs to run named.  named as a cache server is easy, it is in the
> howto.  If you are expecting socks to repond to DNS, I do not know how,
> unless you are running a sock-aware dns on the 95 box, and then tell it
> a DNS at you isp.

Hmmm.  I'm not sure how "the PC guys" configured the windows DNS to
point to the Linux box.  I think that they just gave its name and the
port number of socks (1080 in my case) I assumed that DNS would go through
sockd too.  I guess DNS does not go through sockd.

LIGHTBULB!

I guess they should have given the port of the named to the windows
DNS server and named should have been set up.  I'll bet that whatever
x'th byte of the packet sockd expects just happened to be 0x47 and that
is what caused the "version mismatch".

I'll try this in the morning.
THANKS!!!

> More likely Netscape ask the windows tcp/ip stack " where is crl.com"
> and the tcp stack looks at its DNS ips and requests from it.

> A quick test, enter IP into netscape instead of names.

Good idea.  I tried it with no change.  I suspect that netscape still sends
it to the DNS for verification and blessing, perhaps for security.

> --
> Zot O'Connor                            zot at crl.com

Bob