[ale] Netscape proxy to Linux?

Bob's ALE Mail transam at cavu.com
Tue Feb 4 16:55:18 EST 1997

Does someone know how to set up Netscape running under winbloz 95 to
use Proxy services on a Linux box serving as a gateway/firewall to the
Internet?

On windows I clicked on Netscape's Network button, Proxy button, and pointed
it to the Linux box with port 1080 for http.

On the Linux box I set up sockd (is that the right product) to be started
by inetd.conf on port 1080.

Under this arrangement, if I still allowed the windows box to do DNS
lookup through a separate PPP connection that it had to the Internet,
all seemed to work.  I would see requests for www.foo.com on the Linux
log files in /var/adm with transfer of XXX bytes.

If I told the windows box to do DNS to the Linux box all would fail with
Netscape "connecting ... waiting for reply" and I saw "sockd[pid]:
error -- wrong version (0x47) from host davespc."  I looked in the sockd
code and it expected a version of 4.

I would *really* appreciate some help, pointers, etc.  I couldn't find
any useful doc on the Netscape site and "man sockd" didn't say much either.

Thanks tremendously,

Bob Toxen
bob at cavu.com
transam at cavu.com [ALE]
http://www.mindspring.com/~cavu
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.
"Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus" (We came, we saw, we hacked)