[ale] egcs-1.0 Release (fwd)

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 4 09:12:04 EST 1997

On  4 Dec, Omar Loggiodice wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
>    The egcs compiler (C++,C,Objc,Fortan) release is here! Including member
> template support, STL, and a host of other improvements!
> As you probably know, egcs is a spinoff of the GNU gcc compiler
> project.

Just as a caution ;-).

I've been using the egcs snapshots for a while now.  I've compiled some
of my code with the snapshots and with gcc and compared the times for
each binary.  Egcs does tend to produce faster binaries.

On the other hand, some software packages from the net will compile
under gcc and fail under egcs.

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu