[ale] Linux as has-been OS <G>

Todd B SanMillan tko at westgac3.dragon.com
Tue Dec 2 08:35:56 EST 1997

R I Feigenblatt writes:

> I just got an interesting letter from SCO. It reads:
>
> 	"Your Old Linux OS was fine...
>
> 	"But, now there's something that blows it out
> 	 of the water! Introducing the NEWEST VERSION
> 	 of SCO's hot OS...UnixWare 2.1.2...

Really?

> 	"Dear Linux User..."
>
> 	"You May Feel Your Linux Is Adequate...
> 	 But, Did You Know This?
>
> 	"1. Linux has no technical support or maintenance.

You mean that there's no one sitting at a phone ready to take my calls?? What
a shame <g>.

> 	"2. Linux has no defined strategy for the future.

What does 'strategy' have to do with software? This isn't candyland you should
know.

> 	"3. Most important, can your company accept that its viability as a
> 		business depends heavily on a freeware product maintained by a
> 		small number of people on an essentially volunteer basis?

I guess that Red Hat & Caldera don't count. 8-)

> 	"4. Of course there is a challenging aspect to Linux. Just imagine
> 		all the fun you get when you encounter a bug and debug the kernel
> 		yourself."

Why? I've _never_ had to touch the kernel. It _works_ and it's, IMHO, better
than commercial UNICES that I have to deal with. (maybe I'm just prejudiced)

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK - member of ARRL