[ale] chatting to my modem

Robert L. Harris robert at ast.lmco.com
Fri Aug 29 11:11:05 EDT 1997

c_fowler at hotmail.com wrote:

> I want my linux box to dial my pager number and send certain number codes
> to my pager when things happen.  I do not want to buy a commercial software
> package to do this.  I think I can do it with a combination of scripting and
> some program taht can talk to the modem and send at commands.  Does anyone know
> how to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Fowler
> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail:  c_fowler at hotmail.com
> Date: 29-Aug-97
> Time: 10:39:01
>
> This message was sent by XFMail
> ----------------------------------

I personally used to use a chat/expect combination.  That way,
the expect would call "chat" to actually do the dial/msg send and
then depending on the modem return strings would re-dial, log
a success, log a failure, etc...

Robert

Robert L. Harris          |   If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_    You don't understand the question

Email:
Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

perl -e 'print
$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'