[ale] PPP Setup Question

John M. Mills jmills at jmills.gtri.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 26 09:06:04 EDT 1997

Greetings -- When I had set up PPP with pppd and diald on my old 1.2.13
kernel, I ended up with the default of four ppp devices (ppp[0..3]) and
four SLIP devices (sl[0..3]) visible in my /proc/net/dev.  Now I am
installing these functions in a 2.0.30, out-of-the-box RedHat 4.2 setup,
and there is only a single ppp device which appears.  There is no longer a
configuration prompt to add more numerous SLIP channels, either.

Is this a problem?  What has changed?

Thanks -- mills

 John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
    Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
          Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
 "The one piece of advice I can give you is, put on sunscreen and wear a hat."
                          -- Ted Turner, GSU Commencement, Atlanta, 1994