[ale] Ports and Crypt

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 21 23:15:10 EDT 1997

One option, for the terminally lazy, would be to use rsh and forget
about writing the networking and security code yourself.  Instead, you
could write a program that prints the desired information to stdout,
and when people on other machines wanted to access it, they would
type:

    rsh host dumpstats

As an added bonus, whenever someone fixes a bug in rsh, you can
immediately take advantage of it; furthermore, you can even replace it
with ssh to get encryption.

On the downside, the users have to know the name of each thing they
want to see info about.  Writing a

    rsh host help

sort of thing would help.  Another downside is that you are forced to
use the system passwd file, so you can't have any "guest" passwords or
anything like that.  Another is (I think) that rsh isn't interactive.

But it IS easier to code up :)

lex