[ale] windows 98 drags bhind as usuall.

Dan Newcombe newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Thu Aug 21 17:18:57 EDT 1997

I'm just waiting to see which things they push as a new idea.

> 	2)  the ability to run programs at set times.

Hmmm..wonder who they bought for that.

> 	6)  dynamicly changing resolutions (w/out having to reboot)

That's already there - you just can't change color depths.  Or am I
getting 95 and NT confused?

> 	9)  Multiple display support.  What a novel concept.

A lot of this has to do with the crappy PC architecture not really dealing
that well with this.  I think most cards that can handle it come with
drivers to do so.   I'd love to have 95 on one screen and a DOS window on
the other mono screen - or Linux on both (damn multimonitor patches.)

> 	10) Remote Access Server.  Wow, dialing into a win98 box seems
> 		scary to me.

Ahh...great - now people will be running inet servers off win98 boxes over
dialin - this will give new meanings to up and downs on the net.

> 	11) integrated internet shell.  Don't have a clue what this is
> 		about, but I figure linux HAS to have them beat on this one  :)

Actually, it's more of a permutation of html and hyperlinks in everything.
You can get IE 4.0 and see this - in the words of Jay Sherman (The Critic)
"It STINKS!"

> 	15) IP tunneling/encapsulation.

Win98 routers?

Dan Newcombe                                      newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
"Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe, But was
 that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?"  --Marillion