[ale] S3 Virge?

Robert L. Harris robert at ast.lmco.com
Thu Aug 21 09:57:11 EDT 1997

Byron A Jeff wrote:

> > > for my card.  Does anyone know if the latest MetroX has a driver for
> > > this or which Xserver would have it?
> >
> >       Robert,
> >
> >       Don't know about the Metro X servers, but, XFree 3.3 does a
> > really nice job at supporting my Stealth 3d 3000 (S3 Virge). One
> > note, however, despite the  fact that there is an XF86_S3V server, the S3
> > Virge chipset support is actually compiled into the XF86_SVGA server. :/
>
> Another data point: I installed Linux on one of our Lab machines at Clark
> Atlanta. Has a S3 virge too. Apparently the 1152x896 resolution doesn't
> work. It's a bummer because the card I have has 2M of RAM. The 3.3.1 XF86_S3V
> does not recognize that resolution. Just skips it. The 3.3 SVGA will make
> a valiant attempt then fail miserably.
>
> But it does work and it seems quite fast to me. Of course the machine is a
> PPro 200MMX. So all things are relative I guess.
>
> BAJ

That's definitely interesting.  I can now atleast get 1152x896x16M, but
I can't get it to come up in 1280x1024x256.  The screen goes black and
that's it.  It's not a defective monitor because I run 1280x1024x24Bit
in 95 on this card (4Meg) so I'm confused.  But atleast I have something
stable.  I did change windowmanagers so I might try the latest XF86
tonight.

If anyone here is running "enlightenment" please let me know.  I'd like
to pic your brains off-line.

Thanks,
  Robert
Robert L. Harris          |   If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_    You don't understand the question

Email:
Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

perl -e 'print
$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'