[ale] Upgrage choices

Jay Munsterman jmunster at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 9 04:50:47 EDT 1997

Binko,
Sounds like a pretty good plan for the money. One thing I might
consider, how much cpu do you need. I am a strong believer in the
importance of ram (and lots of it), speedy disk i/o and good
video (if you are running X). I picked up a #9 GXE PCI video card
with 2MB for around $50 five months ago. The performance is good, it
allows satisfactory resolution and color depth, and was cheap.
I very rarely max out my CPU (P90).
Good luck.
Jay

On 11-Aug-97 Charles W. Binko was heard to have said:
!
!Hi everybody,
!
!Even though I'm not in Atlanta anymore (relocated in Tampa), I still find ALE
!one of the best Linux resources around.  So I thought I'd bounce my current
!choices for upgrading my system off you before I buy (probably Monday).
!
!Right now, I'm clinking along with a DX/50 (yes, that's right) with 20MB ram
!and four 540MB hd's.
!
!I've got $500 to upgrade this beast, and here's what (I think) I've decided
!on.
!
!AMD K6 200 processor (~$200)
!Tyan Titan Turbo AT motherboard (TX chipset, AT size, so no new case) ~$135
!32MB 10ns SDRAM ~$130
!Cheapo PCI 2MB video board (until I get more cash :)
!
!Right now I'm running Slackware 1.2.13, mainly because I haven't had time (nor
!reason with this piece of crap) to upgrade, however, that will change almost
!immediately after purchase (I'm so glad I partitioned /home and /usr/local :)
!:)
!
!Does anyone know of any reason this is not a good choice?  I know the K6 won't
!have the floating point punch of an Intel, but the price/performance is hard
!to beat!
!
!Thanks!
!Binko
!C. William Binko                                All Statements are
!cwb at mindspring.com                              My own.
!cwbinko at trcinc.com        finger cwb at mindspring.com for public PGP key

E-Mail: Jay Munsterman <jmunster at mindspring.com>