[ale] Linux & dual processors

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 7 01:47:45 EDT 1997

	While we are along this thread, I've got a question about SMP
boxes in general. Currently, I've got a single Pentium Pro inside a dual
board (Super Micro P6 DNF). When (if) I ever get the money to pop in a
second CPU, how specific should I be in selecting the second CPU? For
instance, is it a good idea / bad idea to mix things like:
	Cache on chip? (ie 256k chip alongside a 512k)
	MMX w/ non MMX chip?
	Different "stepping" rates as reported in /proc/cpuinfo?

	I would assume that is would be best for me to get as close a
match as possible between the two CPU's, but, other than both of them
being PPro's, what _must_ I make sure matches between the two CPU's when
(if) I do wind up buying a second CPU in order for the machine to handle
both of them?

Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech
kachline at cc.gatech.edu
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline/