[ale] hashing identd

Peter N. Wan Peter.Wan at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Aug 6 02:01:32 EDT 1997

On Aug 6, 12:53am, PhReAk! wrote:
} Subject: [ale] hashing identd
} This idea resulted from a recent discussion on spam. I has become apparent
} to me that a lot of the spam I am getting is coming from web pages that I
} have hit. They are getting my email address via identd. I don't want to
} turn identd off because I had problems a few years back with people
} hacking from my box and I have been forced to provide an audit trial or
} accept responsibility for what happened myself. However, I don't want my
} email address floating with me everywhere I go on the net. So, why not
} have identd return a SHA or MD5 hash of my username as opposed to the
} raw data. The hash cannot be used for spam. However, if there is a problem
} the sys admin of the relevant system could check the given hash value
} against the hashes of all the users in /etc/password in order to obtain
} the culprit's True Name. Identd could be upgraded for this in about 5
} minutes of programming. However, I have no idea who maintains it. Does
} anyone know who to contact about this?
}-- End of excerpt from PhReAk!

Peter Eriksson <pen at lysator.liu.se> maintains the package.  You can make
'identd' return an encrypted string by using -Ckeyfile on a modern 'identd'.
You can decrypt the string to get the local & remote IP addresses, TCP port
numbers, user's numeric UID, a timestamp, a random number, and a checksum.
This is true for version 2.7.4 of 'identd', so you may already be able to
hand out this recoverable data....
	Peter