[ale] install question

Dan Newcombe newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu
Thu Sep 12 08:52:18 EDT 1996

> I have one more. I have one primary partition and 2 logical partitions
> on my dos box. All my dos software is on the primary partition. It uses
> 1 gig of 2.5 gigs. I would like to use about 750 megs for linux.

One thing you will need to make sure of is that your Linux boot stuff
is in the first 1024 cylinders, due to BIOS restrictions.  Just
something to keep in mind on those huge drives.

> All the howto's and manuals I have only talk about the situation with
> only one primary partition. Is there somewhere to get info about what
> to do in my situation?

Live and learn :)

> Do I need to use the msdos fdisk first to alter or delete partitions?
> If I want to put linux on one of the logical partitions, do I delete
> that msdos logical partition first?

You can use either the MSDOS or Linux fdisk to delete partitions.  You
can also put Linux on a dos logical partition.  You should't have to
delete the partition first - you should be able to install over it.
And while the DOS fdisk is dumb and won't allow you to make more than
one primary partition, the Linux fdisk will allow you to make up to 4
primary partitions.

	-Dan

--
Dan Newcombe (newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu)