[ale] Slirp vs. Term

John M. Mills jmills at siberia.gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 5 08:48:52 EDT 1996

 > 1.  At the Tech FTP site, in directory Linux/X11/xutils is a utility
 > dxpc-2.0.1.tar.gz, that is "An X protocol compressor that improves X11
 > performance over low-bandwidth network connections."

E- We've used this at work.  If you're familiar with using X over a PPP
E- line, it will make things go faster for repaints and the like.  If you
E- have never used X over PPP, then a PPP link with dxpc is still going to
E- seem dog slow (in other words, you have to use uncompressed X over a PPP
E- link to appreciate the speedup that dxpc gives you.)

Well, I have used a DOS X-server (XAPPEAL) so my PC could function as an
X terminal.  Directly over our net, this was frustrating, fragile (with
regard to my sessions coming apart), and doggy.  I haven't tried xrsh [say]
over PPP, but I assume the ground rules would be to export as little of the
X activity as possible from the remote host, regardless of compression over
the link.  Is that how people are using remoted X-sessions, or are they
also running the window manager remotely?

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0853
        Phone contacts: 770.528.3258 (voice), 770.528.7083 (FAX)
        EMACS: 'Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping' -- anon