[ale] ISDN and BellSouth

Leonard Thornton lst1017 at america.net
Thu Sep 5 06:51:30 EDT 1996

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Michael J. Callahan wrote:

> That schedule sounds like it relates intimately to the schedule media-1
> published for laying their new fiber optics cable. As I suspected, and
> that means that service would not be available in my neck of the woods
> until late 1997 or 1998, too late for me.
>
> I have been thinking about going to Satelite TV anyway, and now I'd
> like to see what plans they have for ISP access. Other than that, I had
> considered replacing my 2 lines with ISDN, but not at the new proposed
> rate...
>
> mike

The satellite downlinks are ONE WAY inbound.  You have to have a phone
line for the outbound leg.  Since you outbound leg is usually low volume
(except in the case of service providers) this will result in a
relatively faster connection ( in appearance) for the average user.
There is, however, a noticably delay as the data has to make the 45,000
mile trip up to the satellite and back down to your home set.

Leonard Thornton                      INTERNET: lst1017 at america.net
Southern Consulting Services
Unix, NT, DOS, OS/2