[ale] Slirp vs. Term

Don Allison don at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Sep 4 20:35:07 EDT 1996

>There is something called low-bandwidth X and various compression
>protocols for X.  I haven't tried 'em and have not heard any comments
>good or bad, but you might try digging up some info.  Though ISDN
>is probably the easier choice.  However, maybe the 2 can work
>together.  Let us know if you find anything out.

In case anyone else is interested, I thought I'd add what I found when I
went browsing. (note that I haven't tried any of these out yet so
caveat emptor...)

1.  At the Tech FTP site, in directory Linux/X11/xutils is a utility
dxpc-2.0.1.tar.gz, that is "An X protocol compressor that improves X11
performance over low-bandwidth network connections."

2.  Also at the Tech FTP site is a mini-HOWTO for LBX (low bandwidth X)
in the directory Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini.

If anyone finds other useful files, I'd appreciate a pointer.

Hope this helps,
don