[ale] ISDN and BellSouth

Alexei Rodriguez alexei at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 4 10:36:17 EDT 1996

--------
+--- In our lifetime,  jkerr <jkerr at datatransit.com> wrote:

|      I agree.  Why pay $125.00 for ISDN when the cable modems will be
|      available from Media 1 shortly.  You would think Bell would make ISDN
|      attractive now to try and get as much of the market as possible.  Bell
|      needs to decrease rates to increase it's customer base.

While the hype for the cable modems is there, as is the infrastructure
(in some limited areas), realisticaly it is still a few years away for
most folks. The latest issue of Byte magazine has some good articles on
the cable modems and the truths behind them.

It looks like some places that will start offering the cable modems will
be around $30/mo, not including the purchase of the modem itself.

I think that the rate hike is evil and will further infuriate people.
Most folks will be more than happy to get dialtone form the first non-Bell
source they can.

One alternative that I have seen (not tested) is the DirecPC which uses
a DSS dish to connect a PC to the internet. Interesting. I wonder
how succesful they have been.

Alexei