[ale] Red Hat 4.0 seems to embrace Fvwm95?

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Mon Oct 28 20:45:37 EST 1996

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, R I Feigenblatt wrote:

> I can no longer access "The FVWM-95 home page"
> URL=http://ltiwww.epfl.ch/~barth/fvwm95.html,
> so I don't know quite what the status of FVWM95 is.

I don't know about that, as I don't use it.  I do know that the latest
version is supposed to be located at ftp://mitac11.uia.ac.be/pub/ so you
might want to check that out.  I looked and there were files there....

> But it would appear that the functionality it
> provides has been incorporated into RedHat's
> just-released (ver. 4.0) "distribution" of Linux.
>
> Linux cheerleader Nicholas Petreley writes in "Inforworld" that:
>
>   "This version of Red Hat introduces a new version of FVWM,
>   now called The Next Level. FVWM is a window manager that is
>   configured to look and feel something like Windows 95, with
>
> Has anyone bought RedHat 4.0 and tried it out?

The Next Level is a pre-configured fvwm95 setup (I believe done by a happy
redhat customer, though I could be wrong about that).  It's the default
window manager with redhat 4.0, which of course meant that the first thing
I did when I upgraded my system was download and compile afterstep ;-).

later,
chris

Chris Ricker : gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu : The Georgia Institute o' Technology