[ale] re: alarm clock

Geoffrey Myers geof at denali.abraxis.com
Fri Oct 25 22:09:14 EDT 1996

}I'm trying to whip something up in linux to act as an alarm clock, that
}is, I specify a time, or an amount of time, and my computer starts beeping
}when that time arrives.
}
}What I've tried so far is writing a little program in C that beeps a lot,
}and then using at to tell the pc when to execute it, but it's not working.
}The at job is just disappearing off the at queue at the appointed time.
}
}Is there an existing program to do this, or any ways to do it other than
}writing a full-blown c or perl program?

I've done something like this.   Actually, my box tells me what time it
is every 15 minutes.  Some ftp site I found all the .au files for the
time of day. Hours, minutes, oclock all that stuff.  I then wrote a small
shell script that figures out the current time and then puts together
the proper .au's and sends them to /dev/audio.  Unfortunately the voice
is male, I have been hoping to find a nice female voice to replace it,
but no luck yet.  :)  I have the following call to the script in my cron
file:

00,15,30,45 8-23,0-3  * * * $HOME/shl/timesound.sh -l

As you can see, it goes every 15 minutes until from 8 am to 3 am.
So, all you'd have to do is put the same line in your cron and set the
time there accordingly.  Of course you could use 'at', but I think cron
is the way to go.  Anyway, if you would like, I'll give you the script
and you can modify it to make whatever sound you want.  Just drop me
some email and I can mail it to you.  If you want the sounds I've got,
we can set up an ftp from my machine to yours, since I don't recall
where I got these.

}
}Thanks, Andy
}
}Andrew Grover      | Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth.
}agrover at emory.edu  |                                 - Pablo Picasso
}http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~agrover/

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....