[ale] 100 base T

David Hamm dhamm at itserve.com
Fri Oct 25 08:41:48 EDT 1996

Alexei Rodriguez wrote:

> --------
> +--- In our lifetime,  matthew at nas.nasa.gov (Matthew Avery) wrote:
> |
> | Does anyone know what type of wiring is required for
> | 100 base T network.  Also, does anyone have any recommendations
> | for 100 base T ethernet cards or hubs?
>
> Category 5 wiring is standard for 100bT networking. This  is 4 pair
> wiring. You can check the FAQ for comp.dcom.cabling for info as
> to how the jacks (rj45) are wired. This is the same as 10bT wiring.
>
> As for cards, I prefer the DEC 21140 chipset cards. These include the
> SMC EtherPower 10/100 pci cards. They are cheap and reliable.
>
> Hubs are expensive. 12port 3com 100bT hubs are about $1700.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Alexei
If your considering using the SMC cards I'd suggest taking a closer look
at the 3Com 595.  Pop'em in plug on to your network and they will
automagically determin what the speed is.  No fuss No muss.  We've been
an SMC shop for 5 years and I've always used SMC with Linux untill I
needed to use a 10/100 Ether Power card on a 10 megabit netwrok and I've
yet to be successful.  The 3Coms are a snap.

Good Luck

David