[ale] mkfs.sysv ??

dan singhal death at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Oct 20 13:56:05 EDT 1996

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Geoffrey Myers wrote:

> Is there such a beast as mkfs.sysv?  I tried to create a sysv filesystem
> on a floppy with 'mkfs -t sysv' and mkfs complains it can't find mkfs.sysv.
> I've checked the HOWTO's and ftp sites but can't find a reference.  Is it
> possible to create a sysv filesystem?

i think linux does read-only SysV filesystems, which means it wouldn't
have a clue how to make one ...
i think ...
it's been a while since i actually read the options when i recompile my
kernel ...

if it can write, too, then ... i don't know offhand where you might want
to look ... probably something like sysvutils-<nmber here>.tar.gz package
somewhere, but i don't remember ever seeing that on any of the linux
sites ... if you can find somewhere that has sysv native systems, then
they might have source code for their utilities and that might be coerced
into compiling on linux ...

sorry i couldn't be more useful ...

--dan

-----