[ale] Getting Started...

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Oct 12 09:23:00 EDT 1996

> I'm interested in getting started with "Linux", and am not sure where and
> how to begin...

Read. Read. Read. and Read some more. It'll save you a lot of headaches
in the end.

> Can someone give me some poniters?

Point you friendly web browser to http://www.linux.org and start reading
the Meta-FAQ and "What is Linux" documents.

It would be helpful if you told us a bit about your machine, especially
more exotic pieces like PnP modems and soundcards, mice, video cards.
Reason being is that most add on hardware doesn't come with Linux drivers. So
it's important to know if your hardware has Linux drivers for it...

> Where do I get a "beginners" copy?

Well the installs for all three major distributions (Red Hat, Slackware,Debian)
are fairly straightforward. Red Hat has the most handholding so I'd suggest
starting there.

> Thanx for the Help!!!

No problem. Good luck.

BAJ