[ale] quick oddball questions

Brad Dixon bdixon at cmd.gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 10 11:29:02 EDT 1996

Hello everyone,

I've made the jump, and doing quite well thanks to ample experience with
Linux/Unix in other places. I have a few oddball questions that I haven't
been able to dig up an answer to yet:

1) When I attempt to "adduser" I get password file still locked. I've
tried various routines and exiting programs, but it is still locked. Any
ideas?

2) I heard a rumor that there is an ftp filesystem that I can use to
mount a remote ftp site like an actual directory. If this isn't bunk,
does anyone have a name and/or location?

3) I'm running RedHat, and have noticed that the Debian package manager
has many packages which would be nice to have. If I were carefull and
cross checked dependencies and such, would using the debian package
manager for a few packages I want be destructive? Any previous
experiences with such?

Thanks for your help,

Brad

--
Brad Dixon
Georgia Tech Research Institute -- Atlanta, GA
bdixon at cmdl.gtri.gatech.edu