[ale] re: java

Geoffrey Myers geof at denali.abraxis.com
Tue Oct 8 16:12:02 EDT 1996

}I am trying to print from a java application. I can open a socket
}to lpd (port 515). What is the protocol for talking to lpd? Can someone
}direct me to the location for this?
}(If there are any java gurus out there, I am open to other ideas :-))
}
}Thanks - Jim (jnm at saf.com)
}
}James N. McClatchey P.E. (Southern Aluminum Finishing Co, Atlanta, GA, USA)
}Architectural Aluminum. Custom Fabrication. Paint, Powder Coating, Anodizing
}mailto:jnm at saf.com Voice: 404-355-1560 Fax: 404-350-0581
}http://www.saf.com   SAF Home Page
}

You may want to subscribe to the java list.  This list was at one time
maintained by JavaSoft, but they passed it on to MageLang, a company that
does Java training and such.  So far, pretty good stuff.  Seems some
real competent folks on the list and the noise is very low.  It is moderated.

}} You can send mail to "Majordomo at java.MageLang.com" with the following command
}} in the body of your email message:
}}
}}     subscribe java-interest YOURID
}}
}} Here's the general information for the list you've
}} subscribed to, in case you don't already have it:
}}
}} [Last updated on: Tue Apr  9 14:18:17 1996]
}}
}} Please read the following carefully.  It contains important
}} information about the purpose and usage of this mailing list.
}}
}} PURPOSE
}}
}}     The java-interest mailing list is a moderated forum for the
}}     discussion of the Java language.  The list is gatewayed into the
}}     comp.lang.java netnews group, but not vice versa.
}}
}}     Sun has shut down their java-interest mailing list because the
}}     software maintainance had gotten too out of hand.  I can
}}     sympathize because running mailing list can be a time-consuming
}}     and frustrating process.  Still, there is a lot to be gained from
}}     a moderated forum so we'll try this out and see if it works.  This
}}     list is sponsored by Terence Parr and the MageLang Institute, a
}}     Java training and consulting company. MageLang Institute is
}}     dedicated to promoting growth in the Java Community by providing
}}     exceptional Java language instruction and acting as an independent
}}     Java resource.
}}
}} MECHANICS
}}
}}     To submit a posting to the list, send it to
}}
}}         java-interest at java.MageLang.com
}}
}}     Your article will be forwarded to the moderator for approval and
}}     then sent out to the list.  This can take anywhere from a few
}}     minutes to a couple of hours, depending on how long it takes your
}}     mail to reach MageLang, and also depending on where the moderator
}}     is at the time.
}}
}}     To unsubscribe from this list, send the word "unsubscribe" to the
}}     administrative alias, java-interest-request at java.MageLang.com
}}     e.g.,
}}
}} 	echo "unsubscribe" | mail java-interest-request at java.MageLang.com
}}
}}     If you need to unsubscribe a different address from your current address,
}}     append the old address to the unsubscribe, e.g.,
}}
}} 	echo "unsubscribe oldaddress at oldmachine" \
}} 		| mail java-interest-request at java.MageLang.com
}}
}}
}} ADMINISTRIVIA
}}
}}     Your moderator and list maintainer is Chris Warth.  I've been
}}     using Java for 4 or 5 years now and I started the original
}}     java-interest mailing lists at Sun before the interest in the
}}     language exploded.  I've worked on many aspects of Java over the
}}     years, but most of my experience has been concentrated on the
}}     internals (implementation of threads, method dispatching, etc.)  I
}}     won't be able to help much with AWT questions, etc. but hopefully
}}     more qualified people will join the list and respond.
}}
}}     My intent in moderation is 1) avoid disasterous list meltdowns,
}}     and 2) filter obviously bogus questions and comments from the
}}     stream.  I am going to avoid editing individual postings as much
}}     as possible, but I reserve the right to truncate extra-long
}}     signatures and excessive includes of previous messages.  If you
}}     have a problem with something I've cut out let me know and we'll
}}     try to work it out.
}}
}} LIST COLOPHON
}}
}}     The list as of this moment is running on Majordomo V1.93.
}}     Majordomo is a collection of Perl programs that in the best of
}}     circumstances is pretty fragile.  This new release looks even more
}}     fragile than most, with some obvious bugs.  The most glaring
}}     problem shared by all versions of Majordomo is poor performance
}}     and really poor error checking.  The latter can lead to truncated
}}     mailing lists if the machine runs out of disk space.  I'm going
}}     to look into fixing the most glaring of these deficiencies as time
}}     allows, and keep plenty of disk space around in the meantime.  I'm
}}     also looking at SmartList (a collection of tools on top of
}}     procmail) as an alternative list manager.
}}
}}     The machine that the list is currently running on is a Micron P120
}}     w/ 32 Meg of disk and 3 Gig of fast SCSI-2 disk running FreeBSD
}}     2.0.5.
}}
}}
}} Chris Warth
}} csw at java.MageLang.com
}} java-interest-owner at java.MageLang.com

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....