[ale] A Mail Question

Andrew Newton lfs at eskimo.com
Tue Oct 1 11:54:14 EDT 1996

Robert L. Harris wrote:

> > OF the individuals I exchange e-mail with (about 15), _one_ no longer seems to
> > go through, but gets stuck in my linux/sendmail mail spool until it expires.
> > The rest transmit fine (other wise you wouldn't be reading this 8-)). The two
> > part question I have is what is going on here, and how do I fix it?
> >
> > --Q-ID-- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient------------
> > SAA01396      215 Mon Sep 30 18:45 tfreeman
> >                  (host map: lookup (kenyon.edu): deferred)
> >                                  freemanv at kenyon.edu
> > KAA00380     2432 Sat Sep 28 10:44 tfreeman
> >                  (host map: lookup (kenyon.edu): deferred)
> >                                  freemanv at kenyon.edu
> >
> > --WAA01961.844138000/tfreeman.vnet.net
> >
> >    ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications -----
> > freemanv at kenyon.edu  (transient failure)
> >
> >     ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> >  451 freemanv at kenyon.edu... kenyon.edu: Name server timeout
> >  Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
> >  Will keep trying until message is 5 days old
> >

> Your problem is that the domain can't be found:
>
> nslookup kenyon.edu
>
> *** No address (A) records available for kenyon.edu
>
> It could be that their primary name server is screwed up,
> or they may have changed ip's, if they had an existing system
> already.  Double check your target's domain or get his IP
> directly.
>
> Rob

Another nice thing to do would be to set-up your sendmail.cf file
so it automatically relays the message to your ISP's SMTP server
and they deal with the delivery throughout the day without you being
connected.  Set the smart relay host in your sendmail.cf file to
your ISP's SMTP gateway to do this.

Andrew Newton
Andrew.Newton at automatedlogic.com
lfs at eskimo.com