[ale] Problems with X

AJS gt7681a at prism.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 30 09:56:07 EST 1996

hi!

	I just bought the new INfomagic CDs with the 2.0 kernel. I got the
installation done fine. BUt ran into problems setting up XF86. I ran through
the configuration steps smoothly, except for one glitch. When I did a
SuperProbe at the start, It said that it couldnt find /dev/console . I
already knew all the info about my monitor and video card and so just
ignored this and went on to xf86config. I went through all the steps and
when I do startx, it wont start because it cant find /dev/console. The
error messages are listed below.

	For completeness sake, I have a NEC MultiSync 3V monitor and a
Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM card with 1 MB video memory.

************************* Error Messages ********************************

Fatal server error:
  xf86OpenConsole : cannot open /dev/console (No such file or directory)
TRANS(SocketUNIXConnect) () cant connect : errno = 111
giving up
xinit : Connection refused (errno 111) : Unable to connect to X server
xinit : No such process (errno 3) : server error

thanks for any help
ajs
| Srinivasan Arunajatesan           |  ajs at osprey.ae.gatech.edu          |
| Graduate Research Assistant,      |  P.O. Box. 327681,GA Tech. Station |
| School of Aerospace Engineering,  |  Atlanta GA 30332-1175             |
| Gerogia Institute of Technology,  |  Ph: (404)-875-6494 (H)            |
| Atlanta GA 30332                  |      (404)-894-1409 (W)            |