[ale] Quota setup

Stephen R. Wylie swylie at wylie.com
Tue Nov 26 13:43:32 EST 1996

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Chris Ricker wrote:

> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 13:03:52 -0500 (EST)
> From: Chris Ricker <gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu>
> To: Mir Shafiqul Islam <mir at oisp.gsu.edu>
> Cc: ale at cc.gatech.edu
> Subject: Re: [ale] Quota setup
>
> On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Mir Shafiqul Islam wrote:
>
> > Hi I am trying to setup quota on my system, and have not been able to do
> > it even though it looked simple enough. :=(
> > Here is what I am doing. The fils systems I want to enable quota on are
> > marked rw,quota I have a quota.user file in the root directory of that
> > filesystem. But I am not sure if I am manually supposed to add anything in
> > that file or not. I used edquota to change the quota for the user. But
> > when I check the users quota it says Disk quotas for user xyz (uid abc):none
> > I read the man pages but still not sure what I am not doing right. Thanks
> > for responses.
>
> If you want to do user quotas, then you need to mount the file system in
> question with a usrquota option (instead of just a quota option).  Try
> changing your fstab and remounting /home (or wherever you're doing
> quotas).  Then, run quotaon and quotacheck (you *shouldn't* need to, but
> it can't hurt) and see what repquota/quota says then.

you might want grpquota too in your fstab. to create the quota files, the
quotacheck -avug command comes in handy. don't manually add/do anything
with the quota files. how did you get that quota.user file in there? the
quotacheck command should create / update that file for you.

i got quotas going on my system with no troubles. i have html versions of
the manpages at:   http://www.wylie.com/~swylie/quotadocs/

don't forget to use the quotaon command at some point [probably in your
bootup sequence] to activate quotas.

> later,
> chris
>
> --
> Chris Ricker                                   gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
>
> "All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed."
>               -- Sean O'Casey

good luck!

srw
Stephen R. Wylie	swylie at wylie.com
CLICK ME
"They gave me a book of checks.  They didn't ask for any deposits."
     -- Congressman Joe Early (D-Mass)