[ale] "kernel_version needed"

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 23 12:29:42 EST 1996

> When I try to load an xmsdos module to get at the win95 partition, I
> get "kernel_version needed".  A search on the web/USENET showed plenty
> of people withthe same problem, but no solutions.
> I am using insmod to load the module.
> Anyone haveone?  I need to do this first, then I will upgrade to redhat 4.0

When you recompile the kernel on a redhat machine, you must have the option
to set version numbers on modules or they won't work correctly. Most folkd
don't use this with other distributions. It mentions this in the manual.

Vernard Martin, High Performance Parallel Computation and Experimentation Lab
(vernard.martin at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/vernard/
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332
[Comic Book Collector, Linux Advocate, DramaTechie, Gamer, and GT ACM President]