[ale] Simple group workarea

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Thu Nov 21 14:24:13 EST 1996

I don't know if you can do this the way you want, but if you turn on the
set-group-ID bit on the directory, then files created by anyone in
that directory will have the group set to the same group as the directory.

Did that make sense?

See:

<chinaberry 107> touch it
<chinaberry 109> ls -lat
total 2
drwxrwx---   2 root     root        1024 Nov 21 14:15 .
-rw-------   1 jwl      jwl             0 Nov 21 14:15 it
drwxrwxrwt   4 root     root         1024 Nov 21 14:12 ..

su
bash# chmod g+s .
exit

<chinaberry 109> ls -lat
total 2
drwxrwx---   2 root     games        1024 Nov 21 14:15 .
-rw-------   1 jwl      jwl             0 Nov 21 14:15 it
drwxrwxrwt   4 root     root         1024 Nov 21 14:12 ..

<chinaberry 110> touch xx
<chinaberry 113> ls -la
total 2
drwxrws---   2 root     games        1024 Nov 21 14:15 .
drwxrwxrwt   4 root     root         1024 Nov 21 14:12 ..
-rw-------   1 jwl      jwl             0 Nov 21 14:15 it
-rw-------   1 jwl      games           0 Nov 21 14:15 xx

See where after I did the chmod g+s the touch of xx generated a group
ownership of games for the file xx.

Jim.

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> Hello,
>
> I have three people (noah, brad, ryan) in a group named web that need to
> all have access to the web pages contained in /home/web/public_html. We
> don't need RCS type software now, but if that'll help with this, I'll do
> it.
>
> This is what I tried:
>
> chgrp -R web /home/web/public_html
> chmod -R g+rw /home/web/public_html
> ln -s /home/web/public_html /home/brad/web_html
>
> Now when logged in as brad, I can modify a file named test.txt owned by
> web.web. When I save it, however, the ownership and group switch over to
> brad.brad. Naturally, when ryan attempts to edit test.txt, he is denied.
>
> In short, I am looking for a way to ensure that whenever a user edits a
> file in this linked directory, it is saved with web.web ownership. I have
> to keep the ownership web.web to satisfy SAMBA users, who use this
> directory under that ownership.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Brad
>
> --
> Brad Dixon
> Georgia Tech Research Institute -- Atlanta, GA
> bdixon at cmdl.gtri.gatech.edu

Jim Lynch, System Engineer,  SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Federal Business Systems, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269