[ale] Win95 file systems

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Nov 21 10:47:06 EST 1996

James W. Lynch enscribed thusly:

> I upgraded the office machine to Win95.  Prior to that, I've been
> using Linux to backup my DOS/Win3.1 files via something like:

> mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /C
> cd /C
> tar cf - . | rsh atlanta dd of=/dev/tape

	Oh man....   I can just see it coming now...  Tsunami!  :-)

	Serious, I guess not alot of people are aware of this (since
I've seen this questions lots of times).  Windows 95 uses what Linux
calls a "vfat" file system, which is just an extension to the FAT "msdos"
file system.  Make sure you have the "vfat" file system compile into
your kernel.  Then change you mount command to this:

	mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /C

> Which puts the data on a tape drive on the "atlanta" machine in our
> network.

> Win95 long file name support appears to use entries in the fat that
> have a "label" attribute or something like that.  I don't really
> care, except knowing that, can I still use my backup script to
> dump Win95 files?  Or more to the point, can I restore anything
> dumped that way? 8^)

	Not as type "msdos".  You will lose ALL of the long filename
information.

> If not, is there a way I can do it?  I'd accept a pointer to a how-to
> or other documentation.

	Mount as type "vfat" and it should work fine.

> Thanks,
> Jim.

> Jim Lynch, System Engineer,  SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
> Federal Business Systems, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
> Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/