[ale] re: telephony

Geoffrey Myers geof at denali.abraxis.com
Fri Nov 15 12:30:22 EST 1996

}} I've recently gain some interest in telephony and was wondering if
}} anyone knows where I might look to find work that's been done in
}} this area for Linux.  Basically, I would like to be able to update
}} my voice mail message automagically.  I'm required to update it on
}} a daily basis and this is a pain.  In most cases it's the same
}} message with a date change.  It would be easy to create the
}} appropriate *.au files for all the dates, but I would need to better
}} understand how to send the appropriate keypad tones and such to get
}} to the proper prompt.  Is this possible?  Thanks for any suggestions,
}} pointers or directions.
}
}Hmm... if you had a dialogic card, it wouldn't be terribly difficult...
}I'm not really sure how one would go about using the voice capabilies in a
}modem to transmit a .au file...  If you're able to accomplish that, it
}would be just a matter of using `chat 'atdt<vms_number>'` to dial
}in/navigate to the appropriate point, then `cat timestamp.au |
}au_to_modem_voice > /dev/modem`.

Well, I'm basically ignorant about all this stuff (and other stuff too).
But what I want to do, is initiate a call to my voice mail box.  Once it's
connected, then I send the proper tones to get to the prompt I want, for
example, the prompt to change my outgoing message.   Once there, I thought
I could run the .au file through /dev/audio, but redirect the output to
the modem.   Something like:

cat message.au > /dev/audio > /dev/modem

Anyway, I've played with this a bit and I know that I can redirect
the output of /dev/audio to a file, since /dev/modem is a file, hey
it should work.  Sounds to easy....

}
}Let me know if you figure out the au_to_modem_voice part, I'd be
}interested.
}
}Jacob
}--
}      /          "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for             \
} *}=={*}>======-  thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup."  -======<{*}=={*
}      \                 <musashi at ninja.techwood.org>                     /
}                     - - -=- Finger for PGP key -=- - -
}
}

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....