[ale] Linux Questions (fwd)

Greg Hankins gregh at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 12 16:01:46 EST 1996

Hi!

	I just installed slackware(3.0) on my machine using the infomagic CD. I
used the mitsumi driver and went through the motions of setup etc. and
configured my system completely, installed lilo etc. Now, I boot into
linux and it cant see my CD ROM. I put a CD in there and say 'ls \CDROM'
and it gives blank!! How do I get it to see the CDROM.

	Also, I was helping a friend install it on his machine using the same
CD and while installing the D package, I accidentally hit return while
trying to select the packages in D. I ended up installing just the basic
default ones that were already selected. Now, I want to install D
completely. How Do I do it? (from the CD itself, I mean)

	Another question, this one about DIP. I want to connect to my lab
machine using dip and slirp. I connect to it, run slirp and get out.
Then I say telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, blah, my other lab machine, and it
says it cant see the network! But I cant connect to the machine I
originally connected! Why does that happen and how do I get it to see
the other machines? Also, how do I get it to know the names (not IPs) of
the other machines directly? Can I set the nameserver somewhere?  Also,
when I run slirp on my lab machine, it says my ip address si 10.0.2.15
(somtheing like that).  How do I let my machine know of this? is there
any way to input some thing like that to a dip script that is already
running?

	Another question. Can I set global aliases for my machine. that is,
irrespective of the user can I alias something, like eg.

	'acme = connect by dip to acme'

How do I do this?

	As you might have already guessed, I am a novice trying to learn the
system and please bear with me if I am asking very silly questions.

thanks
ajs